The father of a local man accused of murdering an elderly Edmonton couple says he warned Fort Saskatchewan RCMP his son was a danger to himself and others a day before the incident, but was told they couldn’t do anything.
“I was afraid he was going to hurt somebody or hurt himself … I called and said what if he kills someone? I said you don’t realize how sick he is,” said Eddy Roberts at his home in Fort Saskatchewan.
“As far as I’m concerned, these people shouldn’t be dead,” he added. “This was 1,000 per cent preventable. I lost my son and this poor family has lost two beautiful people.”
Edward Kyle Roberts, 31, is facing two counts of first-degree murder for the stabbing deaths of John Nascimento, 91, and Maria Nascimento, 81, who were killed in their Edmonton home on Sept. 2.
Roberts was also charged with two counts of break and enter, possession of a weapon and breaching recognizance.
Roberts was recently charged with assault with a weapon in relation to a July 2016 incident where he attacked his father with a pair of scissors in Fort Saskatchewan. He pleaded guilty to that charge.
He received bail on Aug. 25, 2016 and was ordered to keep the peace, abstain from drugs and alcohol, to have no contact with his father and to not attend his family’s home.
He was also ordered to reside at a Fort Saskatchewan address. Eddy said his son gave the court a “bogus” address and the police never checked up on him.
Fort Saskatchewan RCMP said they could not comment on Roberts’ past charges in Fort Saskatchewan because the new homicide charges fall under Edmonton’s K Division Headquarter’s jurisdiction.
According to K Division’s Sgt. Jack Poitras, Eddy did call roughly four days before the Sept. 2 incident to report that his son had breached his bail conditions by contacting him, but refused to provide a written statement.
“He failed to provide a statement (and) at that point we can’t arrest him. If we don’t have a complaint and a complainant we can’t just go arbitrarily arrest him,” Poitras said.
He added that according to his files, Eddy only called about Roberts breaching his conditions, but not that he was a danger to himself or others.
“We don’t have a record of that,” Poitras said.
“I can tell you that the RCMP was against his release, if I remember correctly, and that’s why he was remanded originally.”
Eddy says his son has been on a downward spiral since July 2015, abusing drugs, growing increasingly aggressive and showing signs of mental instability.
Poitras said Roberts did receive a mental health assessment at some point over the last year but could not provide further details.
The Record attempted to contact the Crown prosecutor in Fort Saskatchewan to obtain further details on Roberts’ release on Aug. 25, but was unsuccessful.
More than a year ago in Aug. 2015, Eddy says Roberts’ attacked his sister and was released three and a half hours later. He then returned to the house and attacked his sister with a baseball bat, and was arrested and charged again, Eddy said. The Record was unable to obtain documents to confirm that this occurred.
“He just about killed her,” Eddy said. “He should have never got out. I wanted him to get medical help … it’s way too late now. It should have been done last year but it seems they just wanted to put him away, not give him help.”
Over the last couple months, Roberts seemed increasingly ill. Eddy says he was talking to himself and to other people that didn’t exist.
Documents obtained by the Record show that Roberts was facing five charges from Fort Saskatchewan RCMP in Feb. 2016 including damage to property, uttering threats, assault with a weapon and possession of a dangerous weapon. The charges stem from an incident where Roberts allegedly snapped at the house and broke five televisions.
In the most recent incident, Edmonton police were first called to the Queen Mary Park area in Edmonton to investigate a suspicious person at a residence near 111 Street and 111 Avenue around noon on Sept. 2. Officers arrested Roberts, who appeared to be intoxicated outside the residence, before discovering two bodies inside.
Eddy is completely distraught over the incident and believes it could have been prevented.
“I’ve got to live with the fact now that these people are dead, and I don’t know if I can. These people are dead and they shouldn’t be … I’ll take this with me to the grave.”
~With files from Postmedia Network
~Originally published in the Fort Record